Audit Office of the Republic of Cyprus

Historical Development

The history of Cyprus’ Supreme Audit Institution (SAI) goes back to the pre-independence era. Following the annexation of the island in 1878 by Great Britain, the first Auditor General under the colonial regime was appointed in February 1879. He was at the same time the Accountant General and a member of the Executive and Legislative Councils of the island.

Five years later, the regime decided to separate the duties of the Auditor and the Accountant General. The official title of the auditor at that time was Director of Audit, and the appointed person was always a British officer.

The local Audit Office, then called the Audit Department, was placed under the administration of the Comptroller and Auditor-General of Great Britain. In 1910, following organizational and administrative changes in Great Britain, a new unit, the Overseas Audit Office, was formed and the Audit Department was placed under its jurisdiction.

This arrangement lasted until 1960 when Cyprus became an independent state and Mr R. M. Tatar was appointed as the first Auditor General of the Republic of Cyprus on 16 August 1960.


Former Auditor Generals
κα. Χρυστάλλα Γιωρκάτζη
κ. Σπ. Χρίστου
κ. Θ. Θεοφίλου
κ. Γ. Ανδρέου
κ. Ι. Στάθης
κ. R. M. Tatar
Mrs Chrystalla Georghadji
1 December 1998
Mr Sp. Christou
1 July 1977
Mr Th. Theophilou
15 July 1982
Mr G. Andreou
1 October 1975
Mr J. Stathis
1 November 1969
Mr R. M. Tatar
16 August 1960

Former Deputy Auditor General
κ. Γ. Κυριακίδης
κ. Α. Σκορδής
κ. Σπ. Χρίστου
κ. Γ. Ανδρέου
κ. Ι. Στάθης
Mr. G. Kyriakides
1 August 1998
Mr. A.Scordis
1 July 1977
Mr Sp. Christou
1 January 1977
Mr G. Andreou
7 March1972
Mr J. Stathis
16 August 1960


Back To Top